Monday, February 25, 2008

brrrr and grrrr

Well the boiler was replaced, as were many existing pipes to the boiler last year. But the house felt neglected I supposed and for the last couple of days, we haven't had heat. We have been using space heaters to heat the children's rooms and have given them blankets and heavy clothes to wear.

The heater people say it's a pipe under the house that must have broken and that the boiler is working fine. So when we turn on the boiler, the water pressure instantly drains out making the boiler useless. A few hundred calls later to every plumber and heater person in town, someone is coming this afternoon to look at it. He's promising nothing.

I have to laugh. I went out to get the mail today and usually shiver when I first go out in the cold. This time I went out and it felt like walking inside our house. No difference.

I will never again take my heat for granted.

9 comments:

rebecca said...

I lived in an apartment once where the heater kept breaking one winter and it is not nice to get out of bed into a freezing house. Stay warm!!

Joann said...

Rebecca,
That must have been jarring to get out of a warm bed into a cold house!
We are still cold. The people can't begin to fix it until the leak is detected by another company, not willing to come out any earlier than Wed. Not good news. But I guess we'll put Jay's Norwegian and my German genes to use. After all, Jay's ancestors were vikings, right? Hee hee

Missy said...

Bake some cookies! That's what I did a few years back when our heater broke! it helps!

Joann said...

Good idea Missy!
The good news is a company came out and turned off a part of a heating zone and now we have heat again!!!! But there is still a problem and repairs need to be made. I have learned that some companies say they know a lot but really know nothing! Others really know their stuff.

bookgrrrl said...

I am so glad you have some heat now!

Anonymous said...

While the saga is not over, at least we can make the furnace run. Grrrrr is right - not fun!!!

Joann said...

Hi Joannshi! Wow, can't believe you are having heat problems.....how's it going? I am the same...hope to talk to you soon. Nanshi :)

Amelia said...

UGH- I hope by now things are warmer. I love the idea of baking cookies.

Anonymous said...

The other day I was looking at
http://www.centralboiler.com/
and almost tempted to get more information. It's an environmentally-friendly furnace that you build outside and hook up to your house's boiler.

Too bad they start at $8000. I think I'll just stick with paying gas bills for now.