Friday, June 15, 2007

Geek Utopia

I got through my week of constant classes and assignments and have a breather today. When I got home last night from school, Jay had bought me three booster packs for Magic The Gathering. This is why I love Jay. He knows the path to a geek's heart is her new booster pack. So today, we (of course) had to dig into our decks to optimize them in the geekiest of fashions. We were pouring over our cards like Gollum to his Precious (I think I just heard the sound of two of my three blogreaders closing their windows), when we started discussing the rules for how a split card works (and the one person still reading this surely knows what I mean):

We couldn't decide, and Jay said "Never fear!" and got up to call the 24-hour toll-free helpline for Magic The Gathering. As an aside, would that NOT BE THE BEST JOB EVER, to be the helpdesk for your favorite card game?

We giddily each grabbed a phone extension so we could hear what would happen. We then heard a message that all lines were busy, which made me laugh - because that meant either it is just one guy who rolled out of bed to start taking calls about this game, or that there are actually that many players out there quarreling over the rules of this game at twelve in the afternoon. I guess we're in good geek company.

We got our question answered by a representative who was very warm, chipper and helpful. And Jay said, "Why wouldn't he be?! Look at what a great job he has!"

Excuse me now while I go delicately place my foil cards in their protective sleeves. Good thing Jay & I are married to each other now, otherwise neither of us could ever get a date.

5 comments:

Rattus Peregrinus said...

LOL!

Ah...I'm so glad you had a piece of geek heaven!

Nourishment for the soul.

Seriously, I'm not kidding.

Play - recreation - re_creation - it's a God thing - a part of what sabbath is all about!

Rattus Peregrinus said...

P.S. I finally posted on the Rat, but it's insanely long.

Thank you for going through rat withdrawal!!!

Anonymous said...

LOL that was a great time. We're like Über
Geeks because we're into passé geek stuff. I guess Magic The Gathering is like SO 1999. The kids play Duelmasters, Neopets and Transformers nowadays for card games. But that's okay. We know what's nerd-cool. Would you mind if I tried to not shower anymore either, just to complete the whole experience?

Rattus Peregrinus said...

Poor hygiene is a sign of major-cool-nerdom!

Go for it Jay.

I'll support you (from a distance).

Joann said...

Do not go for it Jay! I live in too close proximity! Let's make a deal, you shower everyday like usual and I don't tell the UBER geeks. I won't say a word- promise. Anyway, they're clean too.