Thursday, July 12, 2007

You know how you get a test back and you were expecting better than you got? But at least you see what you did wrong and try extra hard for the next test? It's a small consolation but it gets you through. Well, I got less than I thought I'd get on a test and then STILL couldn't understand what I'd done wrong.

So, I tried to redo the math with still no understanding. I went to the teacher at his office hours. He didn't know either on a couple of the questions. He looked it up on the web right when I was sitting there! I found this really irritating. He gave us a test, from a test bank, and he didn't even understand some of the questions and answers. So I showed him in the book where I found my answer. He read and re-read the text and said it was confusing. No kidding, really? Confusing? NAH. IT'S ONLY WHAT WE HAVE BEEN TRYING TO TELL HIM FOR FIVE WEEKS NOW!
I didn't fail the test but I got an 80%, which is a C. He agreed to give me credit for one question because it was a confusing one. (not even the one he looked up; this one was different.) So now I have a B-. But he didn't open the gradebook while I was sitting there. I wonder if he really will give me the points.
When I am sitting in class, it takes all of my concentration to try and understand what's going on. I'm not used to this. In most of my other classes, I usually follow right along and keep up. This class is testing every level of frustration I have. I do take solace in the fact that most everyone is struggling in there. I have class in a few hours and the struggle will continue.

On another really negative note, Jay not only has a really bad sunburn but poison ivy as well. He thought he was immune to it. So we were trying to weed and I tried not to touch the ivy. I still got a touch of a poison ivy rash. But then a few days later, poor Jay got this huge rash on his arm blending in with his sun burn. I feel so bad for the guy; somehow he even got it in his eye and his eye is swollen like he's been in a fight.

Yeah, things are ducky around here. This post is such a breath of sunshine.
Well it's the truth.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jo! I really like to think that the rest of your masters should be easier. I could be tragically wrong about that, of course. But the way you have these summer courses stacked right now, with assessment being one of them, well, I just don't think it gets tougher than now. You were thrown into the deep end!

As for my swollen eye, don't worry. I kind of LIKE it. Seriously. In a way. For the first time, I feel like I have a boxer's face, like Rocky Balboa. I always had a complex about looking too "soft", but not now. I am an ocular weapon. The military plans to send me to the middle east just to stare down terrorists. I can intimidate anyone face to face right now.

Except Chuck Norris.

Rattus Peregrinus said...

Ah...Jay your humor is most appreciated.

After I read Joann's message I was reading to drive up there and get medieval on her professor.

It's just so wrong wrong WRONG!

There is no justice.

But then your hysterical response just lightened everything up.

You know, there are people paying to attend hour long "laugh therapies".

You should think about opening a business on the side!

Bald Man Tom said...

Ack! Good grief have you two had a bad coupla days!

Joann said...

Aww thanks for the sympathy. You guys rule!