Sunday, November 11, 2007

camp lite

Yesterday, the girls had a day when they were to "get ready for camp". They were to meet up at the camp, learn some stuff, and get acclimated for the big camping weekend right after Thanksgiving.

The first problem was getting there. Apparently, my directions were to a mythical place nowhere near the camp. So, several calls on the cell phone later, totally ticking off the leader with my direction challenged mind, we arrived. When we finally got there, the troop leader wouldn't look at me. I chalked it up to being very busy, but it stung none the less.

All morning, mind you, I was stressing over what they were going to wear to stay warm. I had to keep in mind the fashion consciousness of an 8 and 6 year old, too. (Not an easy task).

So when I drove back to get them later that afternoon, I found them in a cabin playing a relay race of sleeping bag rolling. I sat down next to one of the parent helpers. She asked me which girl was mine. When I told her, she said, "Oh, they are sisters? I would have never thought". Then she proceeded to tell me that Emily was so forgetful. I nodded and said sorry. Then she regailed me with how Em lost her hat twice. I nodded again, now getting a bit annoyed. I get it, she's forgetful. Let's move on. The third time when she turned to me and said something about how annoying Emily was, I said. "She's got ADHD, she can't help it." This lady really got under my skin. Thankfully, another parent helper came over and told me that the girls were so enthusiastic and cute. I liked her much better. :)

Today Tara showed me her poison ivy. She knew it was poison ivy because her friend at camp marched her through it saying "Let's go play in the poison ivy!" I wish I were kidding. Now Tara is itching and scratching.

One thing that warmed my heart was when we finally got to camp, and Tara said, "Mom, you are the best. You didn't give up and take us home. You didn't get mad. You found it!" Emily hugged me later and thanked me for taking her to camp. On their end, life was perfect (except for a little poison ivy). And at the end of the day, that's all that matters really.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scouting adventures are not supposed to occur until after you arrive at camp.

Actually, I felt so bad coming home from work and learning of your travails. This all can't have fared well for your central serous chorioretinopathy either.

Missy said...

pay no attention to those mean adults behind the curtain!

Anonymous said...

Once when Andy was at JBM, I picked him up on Friday. Another boy that I knew was in his cabin, so when I walked in I said "Hello, we'll call him John). How was your week?".

I asked the counselor how my son was and he went on and on about how good he was and what a pleasure he was and he couldn't wait to see him next year...

Then I kissed Andy hello and the counselor said "He's your son?" I claimed him and the counselor said "Oh. Well he was fine too." End of conversation!

He thought the other boy who was so wonderful was mine!

Joann said...

Missy, thanks. I will stay away from that woman as much as possible.

Jenny, how frustrating that must have been! Andy is such a sweet kid. What is that counselor's problem!!?

Rattus Peregrinus said...

I don’t understand some people.

For that woman to go on and on about Emily is a sign that she’s the one that’s got the real problem and she’s projecting it onto Em.

I had two teachers in grade school that for some reason couldn’t write anything nice in my evaluations. I have painful memories about their classes. I had other teachers who wrote great stuff about me. I can’t really remember them. It sucks that I had more good than bad, but it’s the bad that sticks in my memory. The point though is that looking at the different reviews side by side you’d never guess they were talking about the same child unless you read my name. What’s that about?

One year Heather had a teacher who couldn’t stand her mother, so the teacher took it out on Heather. Heather was so stressed she was having nightmares bad enough that her mom took her to the doctor.

Again, I just don’t understand some people.

Joann said...

Rat,
I want to go back in time and kick Heather's teacher and your teachers square in their hiney. Honestly, what was their problem? Sheeesh.

Rattus Peregrinus said...

OK!

And I'll have some "strong words" with you're adult leader!!!