Friday, April 18, 2008

Schemers

Schemer 1. Emily wants another webkinz. Plotting ensues. She knows that I want her to eat breakfast at school. She just doesn't. I try to feed her at home but she isn't very hungry. So, today she told me that she'd eat breakfast at school for a week for a webkinz. I thought about it. Hmmm. Positive reinforcement and so forth.... So we bargained to two weeks of breakfast and cleaning her room for a webkinz.

Schemer 2. Tara wants money. She doesn't know what to buy with it, but knows that having money is a good thing. Money equates to getting to walk up and down and up and down the toy aisle at Walmart. Anyway, she came in right before bed and told me of her idea ( the same idea she's had two or three times) to write a letter to the Tooth Fairy saying she lost her tooth, and then misplaced the tooth. Could she still have the money? ! I began explaining why that was a lie and we don't lie and that the Tooth Fairy only has the money for the kids who really lose teeth.... I have learned to talk fast and make it brief because kids' eyes glaze over very quickly.
She looked at me as serious as a heart attack and said, "So it won't work?"
So much for the great moral lesson.

The inmates are running the asylum. :)

4 comments:

bookgrrrl said...

I hear they will absorb the moral lessons even when it doesn't seem like they are paying attention. I'm really hoping that is true - or else my kids are turning into hellions.

Joann said...

bookgrrrl, I hope they are really listening. Otherwise mine are turning into hellions, too. Ha ha.

Incidentally, I so see the irony in telling Tara not to lie, while I lie about the Tooth Fairy. Oiy, parenting is hard.

Rattus Peregrinus said...

This is what I have to look forward to?

I am completely unqualified to be a parent.

If it makes you feel better, I've heard that mischievousness is a sign of intelligence.

Anonymous said...

I think every week until children grow up and move out out of the house, it is a difficult choice all parents face as to how much to buy/spoil their children. Since WWII, each generation seems to get more than the previous one. I don't know the answer either - I think I succumbed to their scheming by letting them buy a magazine and candy they wanted today. Oops.