Monday, May 14, 2007

field trips and lunch

Both the girls have field trips tomorrow. They both need packed lunches. The lunches must be completely able to be thrown away at the end warns Tara 600,000 times. I GOT IT! "Oh, and Mom?"
Yes Tara
"It has to be so that I can throw it away."
Sigh...
Field trips make school worthwhile don't you think? All the class work is made up for those couple times a year when you get to go somewhere. You can see this excitement in their eyes.

You know about noon on this field trip, when everyone sits down to eat and inspects each other's lunch? When I was a kid, the lunches were the thing that could make or break you socially. There were all kinds of lunches. There were those kids whose lunch looked like it was catered. Then there were the kids that had every kind of snack cake, treat, and sugary something. I wanted to sit next to those kids. :) In my school it was Laura H. who had that kind of lunch. She had lots of friends at lunch time. Then there was the kid that had all the health food. He had celery and tofu and nuts and boiled eggs and a container just for a dip for his apple slices. No one wanted to trade with him. But as a parent, I can't help but be a bit impressed now thinking back on it. He is probably all grown up now with no cholesterol and running marathons.

I had all this in mind as I packed Em and Tara's lunches a few minutes ago. Intellectually, I know it doesn't really matter. Just give them something to eat. But I want them to open their lunch and smile. So.. I totally over packed for both of them. Their lunches weigh about 10 pounds each. kidding....sorta. They have a sandwich, of course, since this is a staple. Then they have cheese curls for the trade factor, and a snack cake so they'll be popular. ( I do realize that I am being shallow ), string cheese and raisins for health and a drink.

I just know I am going to forget to give it to them tomorrow and they will be that one sad kid whose parent didn't give them a lunch. :(

Of course, I may be over thinking this a tad.

3 comments:

Rattus Peregrinus said...

"I may be over thinking this a tad"

Nah!

Lunch is a critical emotional and social crisis that must be navigated successfully or it can leave deep lasting psychic wounds (just look at me).

Joann said...

Ha Ha Ha!

You, rattus, are a person who truly understands the pitfalls of early childhood! It is but a precipice... :)

Anonymous said...

Joann you handled their lunch most excellent-ly. So of course this is when Em & Tara's "selective memory" kicks in and totally forgets you made them something awesome. :)