Wednesday, May 16, 2007

zoo and eye







Tara went to the Akron Zoo yesterday with her school. Today she came home with a disc of pictures that her parent leader took of her group. I have to say I don't know this mom but I love her! What a very sweet thing to do for us.
They all wore the same neon t'shirts so they wouldn't get lost. It was a kind of -if lost return to the-kindergarten-group kind of thing. They all looked so cute.

It was just the nice thing I needed. Between yesterday and today, I have been to three doctors and had lots of tests. The short of it is that I have central serous chorioretinopathy. It's an eye disorder that causes fluid to leak through a small break in the retina. It causes me to see a black circle in my left eye. It is no fun. The good news is that it will probably go away over a few months. The bad news is that it may not go away. I was told this mostly happens to men with Type A personalities. I am neither. The exact cause of this is unknown but it is linked to stress. It is also quite a case of it I am told. I was in a room with a retina specialist and an ophthalmologist today who were having a go at my fluorescein angiography results. I felt like I was in a surreal episode of ER. I never thought I'd see the inside of my eyeball. The problem was clearly visible on the computer screen, even to my untrained eye. No puns intended. The doctor, who was very competent but had breath like a donkey's backside, told me to reduce stress. How exactly does one do that? It's not like we wake up and go- Gee today I am going to stress myself into an eye disorder!

3 comments:

Rattus Peregrinus said...

NO FUN!

I hope your eye gets better soon.

How do you lower stress?
If you're like me, you probably know all the appropriate answers, but you have a devil of a time actually DOING any of them.

Hey - wanna make a “health-pact”?
We’ll pick something healthy & stress relieving (and reasonable!) to do each day and keep each other accountable.

Joann said...

Done. And even if the perfect solution to stress isn't found, I already feel less stressed knowing I have a friend like you.

Anonymous said...

What a predicament. Trying to will oneself to de-stress...

I am reminded of that movie called ANGER MANAGEMENT (a very dumb boring movie except for the hilarious opening scene) where Adam Sandler is on an airplane and the intimidating steward keeps getting in his face saying to him, "Sir, calm down" "Sir, CALM DOWN" "SIR CALM DOWN!!!!!!" haha.